The Gain/Loss Report
The Gain/Loss Report is a record of how well your trades have performed. Each “buy” transaction is matched with the corresponding “sell” transaction and the gain or loss on that trade shown in the report.
To access the Gain/Loss Report, click on the “Reports” button in the toolbar and select the “Gain/Loss” Report type.
Filtering Your Trades
You can filter which trades are visible in the report by using the filtering tools to the right of the Report type selector.
- Date Range - Allows you to limit the visible trades to those that occurred within a specific time period. A trade occurred during the period if the trade's closing date ("Close Date" column) occurred within the selected date range.
- There are a number of predefined date ranges (such as "2019", "2018", "Year-to-Date", "Last 30 Days", etc.
- You can also specify a custom date range.
- Symbols - Allows you to show only the trades for certain, specific ticker symbols. You can select more than one ticker symbol.
Under the "More" button as several other filtering options and features:
- Group by Symbol - When this option is selected, all trades for a specific symbol will be grouped and summed together in one line. A grouped line will have a small arrow to the left of the ticker symbol. You can click the arrow to expand this line to view the individual trades.
- Show Open Positions - allows you to include open positions in the report, using the current date as the “Close Date”.
- Use Average Cost Basis - the cost basis used to compute the Gain/Loss will be done using the ACB method. You can read more about the ACB method and other cost basis calculations.
Notes on Trade Matching
The report matches buys with sells. It does this either using the FIFO method (First In First Out) or by specific lots. Which method is used is determined by the sell transaction. If it is a simple "Sell", it is a FIFO sell and StockMarketEye will match the sell with the oldes purchase. If it is a "Sell Lot", you have already selected the specific purchase that is matches to this sell.
The same matching rules work in both individual portfolios and portfolio groups. This means that in the Gain/Loss report of a portfolio group, a simple FIFO "Sell" transaction in one portfolio may match to a purchase from a different portfolio. If this causes unexpected results, you may want to consider changing the "Sell" transactions to "Sell Lots" so that they match with the lots from their own portfolio.
Other Report Actions
There are also 2 actions for the report:
- Export to CSV... - This action will export a CSV file containing the current report. A CSV file can be opened in Excel, Numbers, LibreOffice Calc or other spreadsheet application.
- Save as PDF... - This action will generate a PDF file containing the current report. PDF files are useful for archiving or printing a physical copy.