Getting Started with Portfolios
A portfolio in StockMarketEye works similarly to a brokerage account. It consists of:
- A collection of securities - stocks, ETFs, mutual funds, bonds, etc.
- A cash balance
- A total of all assets
Each portfolio has a Prices view, a Fundamentals view, and a number of Reports.
The portfolio's toolbar allows access to all of these views as well as to features for adding transactions (buys, sells, dividends, etc) to your portfolio.
Creating a new Portfolio
There are a number of ways of creating portfolios.
- Import them from a brokerage
- Import them from investment files (QIF, OFX/QFX, or CSV) using the menu: Portfolios -> Import from <QIF, OFX, CSV>...
- Manually create and add data - see next section.
Manually Creating a Portfolio
You can create a portfolio and enter data manually. They can be used if your brokerage does not support the brokerage import or does not provide data in QIF or OFX formats. Manually managed portfolios are also great for testing out investment strategies.
- To create the portfolio, click on the menu: Portfolios -> New Empty Portfolio...
- On the Portfolio Properties screen, enter a name for the portfolio in the General section. You can also change different properties in the Live Quotes and Portfolio section. The Portfolio section allows you to select the currency of the portfolio.
- When ready, click on the "Apply" button in the top-right corner of the Portfolio Properties screen to create the portfolio. It will appear in the folders list on the left-hand side of the window.
- A StockMarketEye portfolio works just like a normal brokerage account. So at this point, you should fund the account with an initial deposit. You can do this by clicking on the Other button on the toolbar and then clicking on Add Cash Transaction... in the dropdown. On the Cash Transaction Details screen, change the Date of the transaction and enter the Amount of the deposit (in this example, $10,000). Then click the "Add" button.
- Your portfolio has now been funded and the deposited amount will be shown in the Cash balance.
- Once funded, you can use the "Buy", "Distribution", "Sell" or "Other" buttons on the toolbar to add transactions to your portfolio. For example, to add a new holding, click on the "Buy" button. Then fill in the details of the purchase and click "Add". Your new holding will be added to the portfolio and the cost of the purchase subtracted from your Cash balance.