How to Synchronize Data Between 2 Desktop Computers
StockMarketEye stores its data locally on the computer on which you're using it.
There are 2 ways of synchronizing the data between 2 or more computers:
- Using a backup file
- Using the on-line synchronization service.
Synchronizing using a Backup File
For one-off or infrequent synchronizations (i.e. copying the data), the most complete way of getting the data from one computer to another is by backing up the StockMarketEye data on one computer, copying the backup file to another computer and restoring the backup file in StockMarketEye on the other computer. The steps to do this can be found on these pages:
The backup restore process completely copies all of the data from one computer to the other. This includes your portfolios, transactions, watchlists and alerts, but also most settings such as column configuration, brokerage information, properties and preferences.
Synchronizing using the On-Line Synchronization Service
The on-line synchronization service (i.e. cloud synchronization) is a secure way of sharing your StockMarketEye data between 2 computers. You will use a shared login for the on-line sync service on both computers.
Follow the steps below to synchronize your investment data between StockMarketEye running on one computer and StockMarketEye running on another computer. The steps assume that you have your data already entered into StockMarketEye on one of the computers and would now like to synchronize it to the other computer.
- On your first computer where you have already entered your investments into StockMarketEye, create an account in StockMarketEye’s on-line synchronization service as described in the “Creating An On-Line Synchronization Account” section of the On-Line Synchronization guide. The email/password that you choose for this account will be used in StockMarketEye on both computers.
- Go to the Other Synchronization Actions and use the “Upload to Account” action. Wait till the upload is finished.
- Now run StockMarketEye on your other computer. Note you will need to have your license key installed in StockMarketEye on this computer in order to use the on-line synchronization service.
- Use the menu File -> On-Line Synchronization to open the synchronization screen.
- Enter the same email address and password you used on the first computer and click “Login”.
- Go to the Other Synchronization Actions and use the “Download from Account” action. Wait till the download is finished.
- When the download is finished, your investment data will be on both the computers.
The on-line synchronization copies your portfolios, transactions, watchlists and alerts. It does not copy column configurations, brokerage information, properties or preferences.
After syncing with the steps above, you can sync the data from either computer using the standard "Synchronize Now" button on the sync screen. However, depending on your workflow, you may wish to consider maintaining one of the computers as the "master" computer where you make all (or most) changes to your data, and the other computer as the secondary computer. In this situation, you would use the "Upload" sync from the "master" computer, and the "Download" sync from the other computer.