Changing a Holding's Ticker Symbol
Sometimes you need to change a transaction or holding from one ticker symbol to another.
For example, if a company changes ticker symbols, you’ll want to keep your portfolio up-to-date by changing the symbol too.
Or, if you need to switch from the Yahoo Finance ticker symbol to the MSN Money ticker symbol for a particular security.
To change the ticker symbol, follow the steps described below.
Steps for Changing Ticker Symbols
- Go to the Portfolio or Watchlist where you have the symbol you want to change. (Note that the screenshots below are for changing a symbol in a Portfolio, but the same principles apply for changing a symbol in a Watchlist.)
- Select the item whose symbol you want to change.
- Click on the “Details” button in the toolbar. The “Purchase Details” window will open.
- In the “Purchase Details” window, click on the edit icon on the right side of the Ticker Symbol field.
- You can now change the symbol in the Symbol field. You can select any of the already visible ticker symbols, or you can start typing to find a new ticker symbol (you do not need to remove the current symbol - it will disappear once you start typing).
For searching, you will get the best results if you search by the name of the security, rather than by ticker symbol.
MSN Money ticker symbols are denoted by the green butterfly icon. Yahoo Finance ticker symbols are denoted by the purple Y-icon.
- Select the symbol to which you wish to change.
- The new symbol will now be in the “Ticker Symbol” field. Click on the "Update" button in the “Purchase Details” window.
- When changing the ticker symbol of a holding in your portfolio, and the ticker symbol itself has changed, a confirmation window will appear. We recommend that you change all items and transactions.
Note that when only changing the ticker symbols provider (i.e. the ticker symbol does not change - only the provider icon changes), the confirmation window may not appear.
Click on "Change" to complete the change.
- The symbol has now been updated.